Sunday 24 April 2011

Carlene Carter & Dave Edmunds - Baby Ride Easy


If you're a listener to the Word Magazine's podcast you'll have heard an excellent recent episode featuring Nick Lowe. One of the highlights was Nick recalling his former Rockpile bandmate Dave Edmunds' animosity towards Keith Richards when the Stones' axeman joined them on stage in New York in 1978.

This reminded me that I have a solitary track in my collection featuring Dave Edmunds and it's an absolute corker.

MP3: Carlene Carter w/ Dave Edmunds - Baby Ride Easy

Buy Two Sides to Every Woman/Musical Shapes at Amazon

The song was the only single from Carlene Carter's 1980 album Musical Shapes. She was already living in England having married Nick Lowe the previous year and Rockpile formed the core of her backing band on the record.

I think the reason I love the song so much is that it's full of such classic Americana imagery - chuck wagons, truck drivers, diner coffee and even the White House. But it's appeal also lies in the fact that the bloke singing is an irritable Welshman.

It's also a reminder that Nick Lowe is a member of that most august group of men - Johnny Cash's Ex-Son-Laws, a club that includes Rodney Crowell (married to Rosanne), Marty Stuart (married to Cindy) and Howie Epstein (also married to Carlene).

Do let me know what you think of the song. I don't know Carlene Carter's music too well (nor Rockpile's actually) so if you have recommendations please leave a comment below.

5 comments:

Duncanmusic said...

I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken there was also a UK single of Ring Of Fire released off that LP that I may still have. I can't say it was the best version; had a bit of an electro-beat thing happening in it that makes it VERY dated these days and a bit irritating. She played atv the club I was DJing at back then with most of the Brinsley Boys backing her. She liked me because I had a waxed-up rockabilly quiff in those days because I had my own bande at the time. We did a little smooching in the dressing room. Carlene was pretty fast and loose those days. A kiss to remember.

Nigel Smith said...

Duncan - what a great story! I've checked and you're right, Ring of Fire was a UK single - "The sleeve folds out to a 21" x 19", two sided, full color poster." Here's the listing on Discogs.

You're also right that is sounds "VERY dated". You can listen to it via Hype Machine.

tinpot said...

'Fraid I never smooched with Carlene (I wish!) but I do own her first couple of albums, and they're great! Strange she never knuckled down to pursue a serious career.

tinpot said...

'Fraid I never smooched with Carlene (I wish!) but I do own her first couple of albums, and they're great! Strange she never knuckled down to pursue a serious career.

Debra Turner said...

Would you like to see Carlene and Dave sing the song? There are a few versions up on YT, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYw_q4tSU48&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates