Sunday 18 January 2009

Chicken: Anyone For Seconds?


Carnival Saloon regulars will know that my first post of the new year was about chicken songs and the second was the start of my musical tour of every American state which began in Alabama. So, imagine how I felt yesterday when I discovered I actually own a song called Alabama Chicken and didn't mention it in either post!

I believe there's always room for more chicken so here's that song plus some more premium poultry.

MP3: Sean Hayes - Alabama Chicken

I found this on one of the wonderful Crowd Around The Mic compilations my favourite American radio station WNCW sends out to its supporters each year. On his MySpace Sean Hayes says, "I like the sound of claw hammer banjo". Amen to that.
More Sean Hayes: official site | Amazon

MP3: Charles Mingus - Eat That Chicken

Pete Marsh (a vegetarian) recommended this after my previous chicken post. I'm a jazz novice and know next to nothing about Mingus. This is from his 1961 album Oh Yeah which after two listens I rate as both "excellent" and "bonkers in places".
More Mingus: official site |Amazon | 7digital

MP3: The Magnetic Fields - A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off

One of the 69 Love Songs Stephin Merritt and co released in 1999. In the accompanying booklet Merritt writes, "There's not that many clichés left to be used as titles of country songs. So I was jokingly scraping the bottom of the barrel".
More Magnetic Fields: MySpace | Amazon | 7digital

MP3:
Howlin' Wolf - The Red Rooster

I don't know how I could have omitted this from my first chicken post. The Rolling Stones had a number one hit with this in 1964 but the Howlin' Wolf original is still preferable in my mind.
More Howlin' Wolf: Unofficial site | Amazon | 7digital

More Chicken Song Posts

Chicken Songs For The Soul - Joe Ely, Hayes Carll, Hellwood, McGee Bros, Bill Thomas
Clucking Brilliant - The Meters, Rufus Thomas, Uncle Dave Macon, Link Wray
Thighs, Wings, Legs & Breasts - Big Joe Turner, The Hillbillies, Dr Alimantado, Cab Calloway

Other Related Posts
State Songs #1: Alabama Cat Power, Billie Holiday, Jim White, Joan Baez, Shelby Lynne and, of course, Lynryd Skynyrd

2 comments:

Chris Jones said...

Don't forget King Crimson's classic improv piece: 'Mother Hold the Candle Steady While I Shave the Chicken's Lip'
Seriously!

Nigel Smith said...

I think there might have to be a third chicken related post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates